The Gumeracha Town Hall is a historical building located in the heart of the Adelaide Hills. The hall was constructed in 1909 and renovated in 1999. It retains its historical architecture and character while also being equipped with modern facilities and amenities.
Our Story: Since 1909
The Gumeracha Institute and Library began as a rock and pug abandoned former store with two rooms, this pioneer settler building on the Lobethal road existed roughly at the same height above the town as the church cemetery and used wooden boxes as shelving.A first hall was opened in 1864 in Murray Street measuring approximately 12m long and 6m wide with a platform at one end, with two rooms at the back occupied by the Talunga District Council. A vestibule of two rooms was added to provide a front entrance with the two rooms built with a government grant.
From the 1890s it was considered too small and from 1907 moves began to seek land for a new hall. Land was sought and purchased alongside the leased oval and recreational ground. A central location was essential to the success of the town hall as it was also the institute and offered a range of civil and community activities. These included celebrations, weddings, engagements, parties, anniversaries, concerts, social events and funeral gatherings.